Looking for an unoccupied property insurance quote?

There may be a number of reasons why you are looking for an unoccupied property insurance quote:

Some reasons

  • the home you live in, or let out to tenants, might be undergoing extensive refurbishment and you are temporarily living elsewhere;
  • the property is on the market, in the process of being sold;
  • if you are a buy to let landlord, there may be a longer than usual interval between a changeover of tenancies;

The need

  • whatever your particular reasons, however, you are likely to be looking for an unoccupied property insurance quote because this is the special type of cover you need if the building is left vacant;
  • a dwelling that is left unoccupied is exposed to significantly higher risk than when there is someone at home. Empty buildings tend to be magnets for thieves and vandals, whilst the need for repairs and maintenance runs the risk of going unnoticed. For that reason, many standard home insurance policies, including buy to let home insurance plans, explicitly exclude cover, or elements of cover, when the building is left vacant;
  • whilst insurers’ definitions of exactly when the property becomes unoccupied may vary, but typically this is when it has been empty for longer than 30 or 45 days;
  • if this is likely to be the case with property which you own, therefore, you may wish to give serious consideration to unoccupied buildings insurance in order to ensure that sufficient protection is maintained;

Mitigating the risks

  • when considering an unoccupied property insurance quote, you may notice that many insurers typically expect you to help mitigate the risks to which a vacant dwelling is exposed and there are a number of ways in which you might help to do this:
  • regular inspections – by you or an appointed agent – for example, might help to spot problems and carry out necessary repairs and maintenance before serious damage is caused;
  • a record of those surveys, together with notes of the maintenance work and repairs carried out might need to be submitted to your insurer at regular intervals;
  • by draining down water and central heating systems, you might additionally reduce some of the risks of flooding and leakage from burst or fractured pipe work;